Please review the email below as this is a friend in my office who is leading this effort. If there is some way you would post the vital info below to the BBC web page and let members know I will happily pick up water from them next week during an 11am group, I would greatly appreciate it!
As many of you already know, I’m organizing a relief effort to deliver water to West Virginia. If anyone is interested in helping out, here are some ways to do so:
- bring in bottle water: a gallon, a bottle, a six-pack, whatever. You can buy bottled water from a store, or, if you have filtered tap water and empty containers, fill ‘em up and bring ‘em in. That will work just as well (and is often what you get when you purchase bottled water)
- In addition to water, there is also a need for hand sanitizer & wipes, and diaper wipes
- Any items that you bring in for the cause, please deliver to my office
- I can accept donations for expenses (gas, potential rental if it comes to that). The director of the Keepers of the Mountains Foundation which is taking in the monetary donations for the relief efforts in West Virginia have said that they would match donations for central Ky people's gas money to make the trip to WV. This is a very new (and awesome) development. If I take a small bus with 1 ton of water, I imagine I'll get about 5-10 miles to the gallon. It's going to add up (for the record, 240 gallons of water = 1 ton).
- It looks like I'll need a small army to make all the pick-ups. People who want to help will be able to help. If you have a vehicle that can haul things (suv, truck, van, mini suv, hatchback), great! If not, we'll still need bodies.
The collection will take place all next week, through Friday. Pick-ups will take place fromThursday 1/30-Sunday 2/2. I hope to load up the travel vehicles on Sunday, and hit the road for West Virginia on Monday, Feb. 3.
I’m still having trouble securing a vehicle for the trip. I have a lead, but nothing has been finalized. If you have connections to churches or other organizations, or rental lots, please let me know. This thing has gone much further than I imagined, and I’m a little worried about this part. I’ll rent a box truck or UHaul if need be, but my personal pockets aren’t deep enough to handle that sort of expense.
I hesitate to even send this out, so please understand – there is no obligation whatsoever to contribute, and it is not my intent to apply pressure. If you would like more information, please let me know. I’ll be happy to go into detail, but I didn’t want to overwhelm anyone with a 5-page email. You know how I can get on a roll once I get started. : )
Thanks for your consideration,
Student Affairs Officer II
College of Education